Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Starting A New Blog

One of the things I miss about being a missionary was the set time every week to e-mail my family. I loved regularly enjoying that outlet for an expression of my spiritual feelings, insights, and questions. The Church encourages using the internet as a medium for sharing the gospel, and expressing belief. Wanting to please my wife who thinks its a little out of place to bear my testimony as a Facebook status update, I am going to express my thoughts and ideas here in this blog. :)

Today my thought comes from The Epistle of Paul to Titus.

From what little information we have about Titus, we know that we was most likely a converted by Paul, and attended some of his missionary journeys. Titus was the one who delivered both of Paul's epistles to the Corinthians. At the time of Paul's writing to Titus, Titus is located in Crete.

Paul gives instructions varied by demographic:

To the aged men: be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

To the aged women: in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Teach the young women.

To the young women: be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children.

Titus (or substitute your own name): In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity.

I love the instruction that is given to Titus because how is he (or any of us) supposed to teach these principles if he does not live his life with great attention to the details of his example? Paul went on a little further in this area... "[Using] sound speech, that cannot be condemed; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you."

I feel so enthused by Paul's attention to detail as it applies to the character of a leader and of the saints in general. Read this refreshing passage which is found at the end of Titus 2...

"[Look] for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." (Titus 2:13-14 emphasis added)








2 comments:

  1. Not that it hugely matters, but we learned that the epistle to Titus was probably not written by Paul. I don't know what is generally thought to be true though- yay or nay.

    The thing I liked about the letter to Titus was that it brought to mind images of how the early church was formed and the roles people played in the early Church. That's something I like to consider. I could imagine church leaders receiving the counsel like Titus here. Not entirely unlike Christ's church today, really!

    It also kind of makes it feel like we all have meaning in the church- and gives a standard to live up to. basically in one part he's saying our actions speak louder than words. True story. Gotta make sure that we're not only saying our testimony but living it too.

    And then at the end, it feels hopeful and exciting. I can't remember the verses- chapter 3 though.

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I hope you keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete